Total Pageviews

Friday, October 4, 2013

Homecoming

Today is my high school's Homecoming. To be more precise, my senior year Homecoming. The only thing different about mine compared to all the people in my class is that I go to school 200 miles away and have since junior year. I'm still a student at my high school, I just don't take any classes there.

You know, as much as I hated high school, I still miss the festivities of Homecoming week. The dress-up days, the excuse to be totally silly and get away with it. Even voting for the king and queen.

Last year I went back and went to the game, played with the pep band, and even went to the dance. This year, I'm going back of course, but only to see Erik since he's going back this weekend, too.

It's crazy how people change. Their priorities change. In high school, I was extremely worried about fitting in and getting good grades, being cool and enjoying "the best years of my life." Now, I still worry about my grades, but I do things that I want to do because I want to do them. I've stopped caring what other people think of me and the need to fit in. That's the glory in going to school and getting away from that damn small town. I got away from the cliques, the judging, and the hell that high school was and is for so many people.

I'm truly glad that I left Hutchinson at 16 to do bigger and better things in my life. I only hope that the people trapped there are able to break the mindset and see the world differently someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment