So school is school and it's distracting and pulls our minds in a million different ways at once. However, when writing, your mind focuses on one topic, the topic you're writing about. It's a break from the lists and lists of things to do and the constant scatter-brain-ness that I seem to be consumed by. I've been doing a lot of writing lately, but not in the form you may expect. Usually when I'm writing it's a tweet, blog post, or yik yak that is just conscious vomit that turns into words which turns into what you're reading at this very moment. Lately, though, I've been focusing on poetry and metaphors and what doors they can open. Thinking about a poem from a certain standpoint and then gaining a new perspective can help a piece evolve. Something that completely blew my mind was said in a guest lecture in the creative writing course I'm in: "metaphors happen within surprising verbs." Just let that sink in, think of all the metaphors you're using every day, without even realizing it.
Anyways, I'm maturing as a writer and I'm really enjoying delving into thought through words, plus I can type suuuper fast now lol.
BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE! Like promised in an earlier post, I mentioned I would share some of my poems with you through this wonderful site, so over the next while, I shall share my favorite pieces either as I work on them, revise them, or decide that they are polished and beautiful.
Look out for all them poems a-comin' your way, folks!
No comments:
Post a Comment